Saturday, 13 August 2011

Week 4 NMD-201 PHOBIAS

Well I've been slow in posting on my blog, however I have been doing work on my video.

I had trouble in the beginning deciding on a topic as I struggled with the concept of using "creative commons" material - I would have preferred to have used my own footage. As a result I've selected a topic which I couldn't really get my own footage of and something that is very much a part of me.

I've selected to do a video on Phobias. Rather than do a video showcasing the different types of phobias people have, as this is done to death, I've decided to do a point of view educational video.

I am haemophobic and as such have an irrational fear of blood. I can not handle the sight of blood or even a mention of a gory story or movie.

This type of phobia is classified as a specific phobia and is a vasovagal manifestation.

The effects of haemophobia are quite physical, such as:
• First you experience an acceleration of your heart rate
• Then a quick deceleration and lower blood pressure
• This sudden changes in heart rate lead to dizziness and sometimes fainting
• Nausea, Chills or hot flashes
• Sweating
• Feeling of choking
• Paresthesias (numbness or tingling sensations)
 De-realization (feelings of unreality) or depersonalization (being detached from oneself)


I tried to focus on this type of phobia as the topic for my videos, however this was a great personal struggle for me as a youtube search for haemophobia turned up very little and those that were available I struggled to watch. 


Realising my search was too specific I decided to expand my subject matter to phobias in general. I found a lot of Creative Commons material available on anxiety and panic attacks associated with many phobias, the majority being agoraphobia. Capitalising on this, I've opted to to do a video that looks at what a phobia is and how a panic attack feels when you are confronted with your phobia.

No comments:

Post a Comment